Monday, October 28, 2013

Planned Obsolescence


(A cartoon depicting the issue of planned obsolescence; originally from here)

How many cell phones have you had in the last five years?  iPods or other type of MP3 player?  Computers?

I’ve personally had 2 computers, 2 iPods, and 3 cell phones in the last five years.  I got my first cell phone entering freshman year of high school (at age fourteen), and have had four since then, six and a half years later. And I honestly think that I’m on the lower end of that spectrum.

Planned obsolescence, also often known as  “built-to-break-down in industrial design” is a term defined on Golden Gate Express as the “policy of planning or designing a product with a limited life span”.

T-mobile’s newest plan is called “JUMP!”, and is a perfect example of planned obsolescence. It uses the slogan “Two years is too long to wait” with funny videos of a man who is struggling to wait the full two years before upgrading from his current dysfunctional phone. Watch one of the advertisements here:

Media has had a huge effect on this societal conception.  Advertising like T-mobile’s assures its consumers that it’s okay, even better, to replace their technology every two years or less. 

The companies benefit immensely from the carefully timed death of your cell phone because companies can essentially guarantee that you will be a returning customer at the end of two years, or five years, or however long they want the product to last.

But it’s not beneficial for everyone.  In fact, the thing most immensely hurt by this industrial “solution” is our planet.  For every time that we upgrade our cell phone or computer, there is a huge amount of waste that comes from that piece of technology. According to this article on The Guardian website, planned obsolescence has “led to such extraordinary mountains of waste is causing untold harm in an era of climate change and resource scarcity, so it's high time we changed it.”

The EPA tells us that excessive amounts of consumer electronics are sold every year, with only about twenty-five percent being recycled:
In 2009:
·       438 million new consumer electronics were sold;
·       5 million tons of electronics were in storage;
·       2.37 million tons of electronics were ready for end-of-life management; and
·       25% of these tons were collected for recycling


(A chart from the EPA demonstrating the problems of technology waste)

In my next post, I'll talk more about how media has created the concept of "perceived obsolescence" and how it affects our planet.

(Originally from Quiet Environmentalist)


Sources:

1 comment :

  1. Personally, I've had 2 cells phones and 2 computers within the last five years. I believe that these companies build their products to break just as the new product comes out. I had a Blackberry before I got the iPhone 5. While REM and Apple are two different companies, I was pleased that my Blackberry broke just as the iPhone 5 was released. I got lucky but I know many others have not been lucky. The T-mobile ad does a great job pointing this out. I found it interesting to see that 25% of the electronics sold in 2009 were recycled. To be honest, I was expecting a lower number. This was an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete